Wednesday, June 13, 2012

GETTING HOOKED ON JOURNALISM





“Good hunting to those of you who choose journalism as a career” ................................. Morley Safer


Journalism for me is more than a job, it is now a way of life. When I was sixteen and I was admitted into Lagos State University to study mass communication, I never knew what I was getting into, until my first day in class when Mr. Suleiman Hassan took us writing for mass media and he told us this on the first day
         

“Journalists are hardworking and tenacious, they don’t take no for an answer, they don’t quit until the job is finished, they are curious, they are creative, they enjoy people and care about them. They are well informed on current events”
The list could go on and on, what Mr. Hassan was trying to do is to list the qualities an average journalist must possess.
Sometimes journalism is exciting and exhilarating, some other time it can be difficult and frustrating because of having to meet a deadline and not getting published after wasting so much time writing.
In my first year at the university, I realized that journalism can be addictive because you are always conscious of everything that is happening around you. If you don’t understand what I mean, go to a journalism school or study journalism as a course and you will face the possibility of getting hooked.


1 comment: