Wednesday, June 27, 2012

STRUGGLING FOR SANITY



Family and society are expecting more from kids (am a still kid lol) now than ever before. Parental and societal pressure to make good grades, get into the university and get a good job can be very daunting.
Recently, every time I go home, my parents are so excited about me graduating than I am myself, even my extended family ask me all the time “so are you graduating with a first class or second class upper”. Even my imam at my mosque asked me last weekend “what next since you are graduating this year” and my friends’ ha-ha, that’s worst lol, they all think I should start working in the media, as fast as possible(so sorry guys, I do love u all)
  
The expectations are far too high, it makes me panic and anxious in some myriad ways like have started losing weight massively, nightmares and disturbed sleep, fatigue and restlessness.
Of course, I can’t tell my parents, family, friends and the society to start expecting less but my psyche is extremely fragile at this moment.
I know my parents won’t have access to read this (and I hope my cousins won’t tell them) because they would feel guilt and I don’t want them to.

But I want my friends and the society to read it and be a little more supportive, to every youth out there; it is really not easy to graduate like we all perceive it is. We are still trying to deal with the emotional trauma of having to leave school after four years et al.

And to my friends, I love you guys a lot and  I might end up not working in the media after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment